With the availability of a new clot-busting medications, surgical and endovascular interventions, the treatment of acute stroke has moved into the emergency arena. NYU Winthrop Hospital has responded with its Stroke Team, which is on-call 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a week, ready to respond to any patient exhibiting stroke symptoms. The team participates in many clinical research trials, giving patients access to new therapies in the pipeline for FDA approval. NYU Winthrop Hospital, a New York State-designated Primary Stroke Center, was recognized by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s (AHA/ASA) Get with the Guidelines (GWTG) Program with the Gold PLUS Target Stroke Honor Roll ELITE achievement award for stroke patient care.
Winthrop’s Stroke Team treats over 600 stroke patients annually and specializes in a multitude of neurovascular disorders including acute ischemic stroke, carotid occlusive disease, and intracerebral hemorrhage. Winthrop offers comprehensive stroke services including out-patient office services, state-of-the-art neuro-imaging, latest technologies in endovascular neuroradiology, and a dedicated neurodiagnostic lab specializing in Doppler ultrasonography to detect conditions such as carotid stenosis. Top notch care is provided by Fellowship-trained stroke and neurocritical care attendings, and specialty trained certified neuroscience nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. Our interventional neuroradiologists and endovascular neurosurgeons offer cutting-edge treatments such as clot retrieval and arterial stenting. Our patients are also cared for in our highly specialized Neuroscience intensive care unit and Acute Stroke step-down unit.
NYU Winthrop Hospital has consistently received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s (AHA/ASA) Get with the Guidelines (GWTG) Program Award with the Gold level quality achievement for stroke patient care. We also received GWTC Performance Achievement Awards for Initial, Bronze, Silver, and Gold since 2005. In 2014, we were awarded Gold PLUS and Target Stroke Honor Roll. In 2015 and in 2016, we received the Stroke Gold PLUS and Target Stroke Honor Roll ELITE! This acknowledges that we meet the 7 core stroke measures at 85% or above with additional PLUS measures met at 75% or greater. Target Stroke Honor Roll ELITE acknowledges that in at least 75% of the IV t-PA cases, the drug was administered within the 60-minute target door time.
Support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month, 10:00-11:30 AM
- Shazia Alam, MD – Director of Stroke and Neurohospitalist Services
- Jonathan Brisman, MD – Director of Cerebrovascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery
- Denise Grueneberg, RN, MSN – Stroke Program Manager
- Lucia Jamaluddin, LCSW – Neuroscience Social Worker
- Sundeep Mangla, MD – Interventional Neuroradiologist
- Kathleen Michel, CNRN, MSN, FNP-BC – Administrative Director & Coordinator/Cerebrovascular Program
- Jules Osias, MD – Stroke Attending
- Husain Rizvi, MD – Stroke Attending
- John Pile-Spellman, MD – Interventional Neuroradiologist
- Steven Tversky, MD – Stroke & Neurohospitalist Attending
- Marianne Turndahl, RN – Quality Data Stroke Specialist
- Princy Varghese, NP – Stroke NP
- Dr. Yi Zhang – Stroke & Neurohospitalist Attending
If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call 516-663-4525.